Wednesday, November 7, 2018

Science when I was in school vs now

Science When I Was In School VS Now!

When I think of science when I was in elementary school 13 or so years ago, I can't really tell you what I learned about. I specifically remember this one experiment with a teabag and fire, which made something fly into the air. I also remember using different tools to create circuits to get a lightbulb to light up. But, I could honestly not tell you a fact or a topic that I learned. I remember science not even being in the curriculum until at-least late elementary school. It was starting in middle school that we had separate required science classes, but again, I honestly could not tell you about things I learned. I think part of this is because we never really did experiments or interesting, hands on activities. We just listening to the teacher speak, read the textbook, and took notes. 
Going back to my elementary school days, I really wished we focused more on science because it is fun and interesting, if taught right. That is why I think it is important that we, as future teachers, learn how to teach science now! As a teacher I want to be able to interest my students and hold their attention. I want to be able to do fun experiments and do things that my students will remember forever. Science is a hard subject to teach because if you have too much fun, you loose the class, but if you don't have any fun, they won't fully understand a topic and learn what you are trying to present. During a science lesson you need to find the perfect balance of direct teaching and hands on learning. Science is hard, so if your students don't get their hands on physical aspects, they will not fully understand. Especially if you are teaching something that no one has ever even heard of. How are your students supposed to picture something that you are talking about in their head if they don't know what it is? That is why pictures, videos, activities, and physical objects are so important! Based off of my own experience with science in elementary school, I think it is so important that future children get to learn and focus on science because it gets them thinking about the world around them!


No comments:

Post a Comment